deserves a safe, stable, and affordable home
Habitat Greensboro is currently accepting applications beginning Wednesday, February 15, 2023. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Or, pick-up an application from our offices from 8:00 am – 5:30 pm, Tuesday – Saturday
3826 W. Gate City Blvd., Greensboro, NC 27407 (at the kiosk just inside the front door)
We will acknowledge receipt of all applications received. Only completed applications will be processed for program consideration. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Applicants will be notified of missing and needed materials.
Habitat’s path to homeownership is an important and in-depth process, requiring hard work, time, and dedication, that helps to ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners.
Our homeownership program prepares homebuyers for the various homeownership responsibilities including personal finance, budgeting, mortgages, home maintenance, curb appeal, neighbor relationships, and much more.
Homeownership Program Steps
- Review the program criteria below
- Apply (applications are accepted during Open Enrollment periods)
- Submit completed application and required documentation
Attending an Information Session is informative and highly recommended. Information sessions will resume following the close of Open Enrollment.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current lease in applicant(s) name for at least one year
- Have primary Greensboro area residency or permanent employment in the Greensboro area for at least one year (Applicants who live and work in High Point, Trinity, or Archdale will be referred to that affiliate.)
- Must agree to credit and criminal background checks
- Provide evidence of legal separation or divorce (or other legal releases as appropriate) if a spouse is not participating as an applicant
Habitat Greensboro’s program criteria include income guidelines and evaluates applications on three principles: need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner.
|Household Size||Minimum Income||Maximum Income|
The income guidelines for Greater Greensboro, are defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These figures include many forms of income: employment, public assistance, Social Security, disability, child support, etc.
Your current housing is inadequate, unsafe, unaffordable, or unhealthy. You may also qualify if you live in subsidized housing.
Ability to Pay
Applicants will be considered if your income is 30-80% of the Area Median Income (cannot exceed maximum income guidelines).
- Be able to pay an affordable mortgage (not more than 30% of household income)
- Have continuous and verifiable income for 12 months (this includes self-employment and non-wages such as child support, SSI, alimony, etc.)
- Make timely payments on all debts
- Clear all collection debts prior to closing
- All judgments and liens must be cleared at the time of application
- Medical: Must not exceed $6,000 and applicant(s) must be actively paying down the balance
- Delinquent: No more than $1,200 delinquent debt at the time of application and all delinquent debt must be paid off before application approval
- Outstanding: No more than $1,000 in outstanding debt at the time of application, excluding student loan or automobile loan debt
- Collections: Must not have any non-medical collections reported in the 24 months prior to applying.
- Judgements & Liens: In the event a judgement or lien arises after the applicant has been approved, it must be cleared prior to closing
- Bankruptcy: Applicants may apply 4 years after a Chapter 7 or 11 bankruptcy filing, or 2 years after they have received a discharge in a Chapter 13 case
Willingness to Partner
Applicants must be willing to partner with Habitat Greensboro by investing 250 required sweat equity hours. Sweat Equity is time spent assisting with construction, attending classes and other activities throughout their homeownership journey.
Contact Homeowner Services
Questions? Please email our Homeowner Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click HERE to complete our contact form.
Contact us by phone at 336.275.HOME (4663) and select option #2.