deserves a stable start in a safe and secure home
Minors: It is Habitat Greensboro’s policy not to solicit knowingly any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. Children under 13 are not authorized to make a donation or purchase, sign up for an event or program, or otherwise provide any personally identifiable information without consent from a parent or legal guardian.
Each local Habitat organization in the United States and Canada (a “Habitat Affiliate” or “Affiliate”) is a separate legal entity, governed by an independent board of directors, executive committee, or other governing body. Each Affiliate is solely responsible for its own collection and use of your personal data.
Sharing of information within the Habitat network: We may share your data with Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI), such as in connection with your participation in a Global Village build.
Likewise, when you provide personal data to HFHI in connection with your participation in a Global Village build, your personal data may be shared between (i) the Receiving Organization and any other Habitat National Organization that hosts the volunteer build (the “Hosting Organization”), and (ii) the Receiving Organization and Habitat Greensboro. Unless you inform Habitat Greensboro or the Receiving Organization that you do not consent to marketing by Hosting Organization, the Hosting Organization may also contact you about its own programs and activities in the future.
Habitat Greensboro may request from you, or you may volunteer to provide your contact information, including your name, mailing address, phone number(s), social media handles, and email address(es). We hold and process supporters’ data for a number of reasons:
- To keep a record of donations made and actions taken by our supporters and our communications with them
- To send our supporters marketing information about our projects, fundraising activities, and appeals where we have their consent or are otherwise permitted to do so
- To fulfill contractual obligations entered into with supporters
- To support volunteers, such as during build or fundraising events
- To support community-based fundraising and campaigning
- To ensure we do not send unwanted information to supporters or members of the public who have informed us they do not wish to be contacted
- To manage supporters’ accounts and provide customer service
- To perform other functions as described at the time Habitat Greensboro collects information.
If you make a donation or a purchase with Habitat Greensboro or otherwise provide us your information, Habitat Greensboro may contact you from time to time about opportunities to make additional donations or purchases or to provide you information about upcoming programs.
We may also analyze your personal information to create a record of your interests and preferences. This allows us to ensure that communications are relevant and timely, contact you in the most appropriate and relevant way, and provide you with an improved user experience. It also helps us understand our supporters’ backgrounds to make appropriate requests for support, enabling us to raise funds and help beneficiaries sooner and more cost-effectively.
Habitat Greensboro will contact you for marketing purposes—for example, to keep you up to date on our work, or let you know how you can support that work—only where we have your consent, or we are otherwise allowed to do so because of your prior engagement with Habitat Greensboro.
We will make it easy for you to tell us if you would like to receive marketing communications from us and hear more about our work and how you would like to receive this information. We will not send you marketing material if you tell us that you do not wish to receive it. Instructions for doing so are below (see “How to control what we send you or update your personal information”).
Unless you inform us that you wish to be removed from our contact list, your ongoing consent is presumed. You can update or withdraw your consent at any time. (See below, “How to control what we send you or update your personal information”). Habitat Greensboro will presume a longer period of consent in several exceptions:
- Where you have committed to making a regular (for example, monthly) donation. In this situation, and unless you withdraw your consent, we will treat consent as lasting until you cancel your donation, at which point your consent will expire 24 months after the last donation. This period allows Habitat Greensboro to keep you up to date with the impact of your contributions and ask whether alternative support would be of interest.
- Where you have notified us that you will be leaving a legacy to Habitat Greensboro.
Habitat Greensboro may obtain your personal data in the following circumstances:
- When you give it to Habitat Greensboro – We will obtain your personal data directly when you make a donation, sign up for one of our events, or when you communicate with us directly in some other way.
- When you give it to Habitat Greensboro indirectly -We will obtain your personal data when you communicate to your employer or a retail partner of Habitat Greensboro during your point of purchase that you affirmatively designate Habitat Greensboro to receive a personal contribution from you.
- When you access Habitat Greensboro’s sponsored social media – We might also obtain your personal data through your use of social media such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, or LinkedIn, depending on your settings or the privacy policies of these social media and messaging services. To change your settings on these services, please refer to their privacy notices, which will tell you how to do this.
- When the information is publicly available – We might also obtain personal data about individuals who may be interested in giving major gifts to charities or organizations like Habitat Greensboro. In these cases, we may seek out more about these individuals’ interests and motivations for giving through publicly available information. The information sources may include newspaper or other media coverage, open postings on social media sites such as LinkedIn, and services that aggregate data on charitable giving.
Habitat Greensboro will only collect personal data about you relevant to the type of transaction or project you have engaged in with us.
For example, we may receive and retain personal information about you when you contact Habitat Greensboro to make a donation or sign up to any of Habitat Greensboro’s activities or online content (such as newsletters); or when you telephone, email, or write to us, or engage with us via social media channels. In each of these cases, the information we collect is relevant to the type of transaction you are entering into. Data such as your name, email, postal address, telephone, or mobile number will be necessary to execute these transactions and enable us to contact you for further engagement. Bank account or credit card details will be necessary to process any donations. Age and travel restrictions will be relevant if you are signing up for an international build.
Credit card and billing information: In addition to your contact information, Habitat Greensboro asks for your billing address and credit card or other financial services information when you donate. Habitat Greensboro uses a third-party banking agent to process your payments via a secured socket layer connection (TLS 1.2 using SHA 256 encryption) to a secured server that verifies your credit card/bank information. They return a unique tracking number only, which cannot be decrypted to obtain the payment card information, and Habitat Greensboro never retains your complete credit card number. Only employees who need access to your personal information to perform a specific job are granted access to that information, and Habitat Greensboro and our banking agent will not share your credit card/bank information with any other third party.
Sensitive Personal Data: We do not collect your “sensitive personal data” (e.g., health or dietary information) unless there is a clear reason for doing so—such as your participation in a sponsored physical event or a Global Village build—and then only to the extent such data is required to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in the event.
All sensitive personal data is stored on a password-protected system to which only a limited number of relevant staff have access. It is never shared with third parties and is available to you at any point should you wish to see it.
Habitat Greensboro will use your personal information for the following purposes:
- For administrative reasons, including:
- “service administration,” which means that Habitat Greensboro may contact you for reasons related to administering any donations you have made, the completion of commercial or other transactions you have entered into with us, or the activity or online content you have signed up for;
- to confirm receipt of donations (unless you have asked us not to do this), and to say thank you and provide details of how your donation might be used;
- in relation to correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, message board, or any other means and to contact you about any content you provide;
- for internal record keeping to keep a record of your relationship with us;
- to implement any instructions, you give us concerning withdrawing consent to send marketing information;
- to use IP addresses to identify users’ locations, block disruptive use, and establish the number of visits from different countries.
- For marketing and fundraising – Sections III and IV above describe what data may be used for marketing and fundraising purposes and under what circumstances.
- Analysis – To analyze and improve the activities and content offered by the Habitat Greensboro website to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose personal information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Habitat Greensboro’s suppliers: We may need to share your information with service providers who help deliver our projects and fundraising activities. These “data processors” will only act under our instruction and are subject to contractual obligations containing strict data protection clauses. We do not allow these organizations to use your data for their own purposes or disclose it to other third parties without our consent, and we will take all reasonable care to ensure that they keep your data secure.
Facebook and other Social Media Sites: We may also use your email address and phone number to match your Facebook or other social media accounts to show you Habitat Greensboro content while using those services. We only do this where you have consented to receive marketing emails by opting out. In addition, we may also use your email address and phone number to link to Facebook or other social media sites to identify other users of these sites whom we believe would be interested in Habitat Greensboro.
There are two ways to prevent this use of your data. You can either update your consent preferences directly with us at Habitat Greensboro (see below, “How to control what we send you or update your personal information”) or via the social media sites:
Updating your preferences with Habitat Greensboro will not guarantee that you never see Habitat Greensboro content on social media since the social media site may select you based on other criteria.
Where legally required: We will also comply with legal requests where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example, to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
We will hold your personal information on our contact lists only as long as you continue to provide your consent. Unless you inform us that you wish to be removed from our contact list, your ongoing consent is presumed. (Instructions for doing this are set forth below, in Section X.) Beyond that, we will hold your information only for as long as necessary to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations—such as, for example, to provide documentation on funding sources in connection with a review or audit of our compliance with USC Sec. 501(c)(3).
If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials, we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Legacy income is vital to the running of the charity. We may keep data you provide indefinitely to carry out legacy administration and communicate effectively with the families of people, leaving us legacies. This also enables us to identify and analyze the source of legacy income we receive.
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We want to ensure that we can communicate with you in ways that you are happy with and provide you with information that is of interest.
If you wish to change how we communicate with you or update the information we hold, then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at Data Privacy; Habitat Greensboro; 3826 W. Gate City Blvd; Greensboro, NC 27407.
Additionally, you can opt-out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any marketing email from Habitat Greensboro.
Timing of implementation. We will take all reasonable steps to remove you from Habitat Greensboro’s marketing lists in responding to requests not to receive marketing information.
If you have already been selected for inclusion in a Habitat Greensboro marketing campaign when you requested to not receive such information, we may be unable to remove you from that campaign within these time periods.
We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal details. For example, our online forms that ask for personal information are stored on password-protected networks and routinely monitored. Laptops are not used to store sensitive personal information unless they are both password protected or encrypted. All sensitive personal data is stored on a secure database to which only a limited number of relevant personnel have access. It is deleted when no longer needed by us and is never shared with third parties, except as expressly outlined in Sections III and IV.
Within Habitat Greensboro, we undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers, and contractors.
We use external companies to collect or process personal data on our behalf. We do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them, and in our legal agreements, we clearly set out our requirements regarding how they manage the personal data to which they have access. We have a robust partner-monitoring framework to ensure these contractual obligations are met.